(Download PDF file of the following contest & conference description HERE)
Periodically check this website for any changes as well as the latest information
Join our MAILING LIST to receive contest and conference communications
Contest PRE-REGISTRATION is now open
Detecting and forecasting emerging R&D topics can help focus research policy, program management, and individual research agendas. The VPInstitute is sponsoring a Measuring Tech Emergence “Contest” and complementary paper track at the 9th Global TechMining (GTM2019) “Conference” to stimulate thinking about emergence and tech mining [text analyses of Science & Technology (S&T) information resources] to generate novel and viable indicators.
Who may participate? The contest is open to individuals or teams associated with academic, non-profit, or governmental organizations. A team member needs to be available to present at the GTM2019 conference in Atlanta, GA. We especially encourage student and/or academic research groups. Anyone (i.e. contest and non-contest participants) may propose a presentation for the Measuring Tech Emergence track at GTM2019. .
- October-December 2018 – CONTEST PRE-REGISTRATION. Submit your intent to participate by completing the on-line pre-registration form with name(s) of likely participant(s) as well as your initial ideas and interests. Pre-registrants will progress to contest registration in January with complete “terms of agreement” and access to practice datasets.
- January 2019 – CONTEST REGISTRATION and DISTRIBUTION OF PRACTICE DATASETS. Three practice WoS datasets will be provided (free) to each registrant (official registration form will be sent to each pre-registrant). Each dataset will contain WoS search results on a given domain for 12 years (e.g., ~10,000 abstract records on synthetic biology to give you 10 years of data to analyze so as to best predict activity in the following 2 years).
- April 2019 – CONTEST. We will provide the contest dataset, requiring you to send back your list of emerging topics in 10 days, with a brief description of your algorithm/process.
- February – April 2019 – CONFERENCE SUBMISSION PERIOD. GTM2019 will be accepting abstract submissions for the Measuring Tech Emergence track.
- October 17, 2019 – CONTEST AWARD. The winner and second prize will be awarded at the 9th Global Tech Mining (GTM2019) Conference in Atlanta, GA.
Still have questions? Contact Stephen Carley at firstname.lastname@example.org