Periodically check this website for any changes as well as the latest information
Contest is closed
We are pleased to announce the results of the VPInstitute Measuring Tech Emergence Contest.
1st Prize : Team led by Jin Mao, Wuhan University
2nd Prize: Team led by Shuo Xu, Beijing University of Technology
Judging was based on comparing the lists provided by each entrant to the actual high growth terms in a “ground truth” file (combination of terms [Title NLP phrases, Abstract NLP phrases, Keywords-Author & Keywords-Plus] – minimally cleaned (consolidated singular and plural term versions and such)]). Several entrants performed rather well. To determine the final contest winner, entrants were also graded on the percentage of high growth terms out of total terms provided, the degree of growth of their terms, the frequency of those high growth terms across the dataset, the quality of the terms based on utility, combined with a qualitative assessment of the model used to make the prediction. We hope you all had a fun, learning experience.
Our next wish is to capitalize on the fruits of our concerted effort and find meaningful ways to share and advance our knowledge on measuring tech emergence. Planning is underway for a “Measuring Tech Emergence Contest” Special Session at the 9th Global TechMining Conference (17 October 2019) to present contest winners as well as showcase the variety of approaches and challenges
- October-December 2018 – CONTEST PRE-REGISTRATION. Submit your intent to participate by completing the on-line pre-registration form with name(s) of likely participant(s) as well as your initial ideas and interests.
- January 2019 – CONTEST REGISTRATION and DISTRIBUTION OF PRACTICE DATASETS. Pre-registrants will be asked to approve a data “End User Agreement” from contest data-provider Clarivate (submission deadline February 25, 2019). Three practice WoS datasets will be provided (free) to each registrant. Each practice dataset will contain WoS search results on a given domain for 12 years (e.g., ~10,000 abstract records on synthetic biology to give you 10 years of data to analyze so as to best predict activity in the following 2 years).
- April 2019 – CONTEST. We will provide the contest dataset on April 22nd requiring you to send back your list of emerging topics in 10 days on May 1st with a brief description of your algorithm/process.
- June 28, 2019 – CONTEST WINNERS ANNOUNCED
- February – April 2019 – CONFERENCE SUBMISSION PERIOD. GTM2019 will be accepting abstract submissions for the Measuring Tech Emergence track.
- October 17, 2019 – CONTEST AWARD. The winner and second prize will be awarded at the 9th Global Tech Mining (GTM2019) Conference in Atlanta, GA. MEASURING TECH EMERGENCE SPECIAL SESSION. We hope you all will be able to attend to as an opportunity to collectively assess and benefit from contest participant and other’s research into this vital area.
Still have questions? Contact Stephen Carley at firstname.lastname@example.org